Introducing the Dexter Cow 🐮 Dexter cattle or Eallach Dexter are a breed originating in Ireland.
- They are the smallest of the European cattle breeds, they are about half the size of a Hereford and about one-third the size of a Holstein Friesian milking cow.
- A rare breed until recently, they are now considered a recovering breed by the Livestock Conservancy.
- The Dexter breed originated in the southwestern area of Ireland.
- The Dexter is a small breed with mature cows weighing between 600 and 700 lb and mature bulls weighing about 1,000 lb. Considering their small size, their bodies are wide and deep with well-rounded hindquarters.
- Dexter’s have three coat colours- black, red and brown. Dexter’s should have no white markings except for some minor white markings on the belly/udder behind the navel and some white hairs in the tail switch.
- You can see this beautiful character in our Farmyard Féasta book by clicking here